Friday, September 9, 2011

Travelogue: Isle of Skye

The Isle of Skye, or as the locals call it, The Misty Isle, is just off the northwestern coast of Scotland. Between London and Fort William lies one of the most scenic train rides in the world. Some call it the Deerstalker, so I was hardly surprised to see deers hurry away as the train thundered by, but still delighted at the sight of them. Fort William is the closest city on the mainland; you can take the famous Jacobite Steam Train from there to the little fishing village of Mallaig, where we had the best fish & chips of our entire trip. From there, you can either take the ferry over or you can drive around to Kyle of Lochalsh and cross the Skye bridge. 

As I'm writing this, I can't help but play back in my mind images from Skye that have been more or less ingrained into my mind, and my heart. The rolling hillsides, dotted with sheep; the beautiful lochs, and dramatic dips and curves in the landscape. The sound of rain and wind, the low-lying clouds that seem to stem out of the landscape itself. I was absolutely awestruck by the desolate beauty of the island, and the Scottish Highlands.

and here is one of my favourite photos of the island.


The Highlands is for romantics, and a little wild at heart perhaps. Just remember to bring your rain gear! 

Happy Friday! have an awesome weekend.

No comments: